It has been awhile since I’ve posted last, so here’s some things to catch up on.
New Android Project!
I’ve been working on a new Android project in Kotlin for Base11 Studios, expected to release this summer! It has been an awesome experience to build an Android app from ground up in Kotlin. I also had my first experience with Android In-App Billing as part of the project, and that was a challenge in itself. I learned a lot, so some blog posts definitely to come.
More details to come on the project, I’ll be sure to posts updates here, but don’t forget to check out the Base11 Blog for more on the work that we’re doing.
Building Recycler Views
I’ve had a lot of experience both with Base11 and at my day job with building some complex
RecyclerViews, and I definitely want to elaborate on what I’ve learned. Look forward to a post or two on the topics of RecyclerView Adapters and using LiveData with RecyclerViews here.
Inspired by a TextKit talk at this year’s WWDC, I started a new iOS app that I’ve been working on periodically since June. I still have a way to go, but I’m hoping I can update you here with changes to the app and let you know what I’ve been able to learn about TextKit and more about the new Authentication Services as I discover more.
It’s summer! I’ve been heads down at work and all my free time has been fun-time! Weekends are packed with vacation, weekend trips, and just plain relaxing. Here’s a list of the fun stuff I would talk to you about if you asked me in person.
- I’ve been playing a lot of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4, and it’s still up there as one of my favorite games of all time. This topic is definitely deserving of it’s own post, maybe I’ll get around to it someday soon.
- I bought a NES Classic when they re-released it last month, and have played through about 99% of Super Mario Bros 3 - another one of my all time favorite games. I’ll let you know when I re-discover some secrets that I’ve forgotten since I was 7.
- I re-built my Millenium Falcon Lego set as well as my Saturn V - both of which had been in pieces since I moved in May. I also bought the Great Hall Harry Potter set that came out this month, still deciding if I want to open it or not…
- Hayley and I visited Asheville, NC for a long weekend this month and had more than our fair share of beers and bites. We also toured the Biltmore Estate, which was a scene out of Downton Abbey - though the whole tour I was imagining my own American epic family drama playing out there the whole time. It was a blast.
- I’m going camping for the first time in awhile next weekend. I had to buy a new sleeping bag/pad and I got an Anker battery pack for my phone addiction. If I am blown away or peeved by any of these purchases you can expect a review to pop up.